SGH Technical Staff Take Part in 2024 Annual Meeting of the Transportation Research Board
Several Simpson Gumpertz & Heger (SGH) technical staff members participated in the 2024 Annual Meeting of the Transportation Research Board (TRB) from 7 to 11 January in Washington, DC. TRB is part of the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine and provides leadership in transportation and related infrastructure improvements and innovation through collaboration between academia, researchers, consulting engineers, and government agencies.
The SGH team held an active presence at the event, moderating and presenting on several topics as part of TRB’s Standing Committee on Culverts, Buried Bridges, and Soil Structure Interaction (AKB70):
- Jesse Beaver moderated the session, “Dialogue with Transportation Infrastructure Leaders.”
- Jeremy Bowers hosted the inaugural “Buried Structure Rehabilitation, AKB70(3)” subcommittee meeting as its chair, with Brent Bass serving as secretary.
- SGH alumnus Timothy McGrath moderated “Backfill Considerations, Fire Resistance, and Construction of Culverts and Buried Bridges.” In the session, Shokoufeh Zargar presented “Structural Fire Engineering Analysis of Corrugated Steel Buried Bridges,” based on a paper co-authored with Jesse and Ricardo Medina of SGH and Joel Hahm of Contech Engineered Solutions LLC. Later in the session, Jeremy presented “The Effects of Construction Phasing and Creep on Buried Bridges,” based on a paper co-authored with Jesse from SGH and Matthew Barendse of the New York State Department of Transportation.
- Brent Bass moderated the “Rehabilitation of Buried Structures” session, in which Jeremy presented “Applying New York State Department of Transportation Culvert Liner Specifications to Design High-Density Polyethylene Liners for Deteriorate Corrugated Steel Pipes,” with contributions from Brent, Shokoufeh, and Jesse.
- Jeremy also delivered a presentation during the AKB70 committee meeting, “Development of an ASTM Standard Guide for Resilience-Based Design of Culverts Exposed to Wildfire Events,” with contributions from Jesse.
SGH sponsored the event as a Bronze Patron.
Learn more and see the full program.