La Jolla, CA
UC San Diego, North Torrey Pines Living and Learning Neighborhood
With North Torry Pines, UC San Diego creates an entire community around a new quadrangle. The seven-building development includes four new residence halls for 2,000 students and common areas, a new Arts and Humanities building, the Craft Center, the Social Sciences Public Engagement building, below-grade parking, and buried utility infrastructure. SGH consulted on the building enclosure design for the project.
SGH consulted on the design of below- and at-grade, podium, and terrace waterproofing; exterior walls; window and door assemblies; and roofing. Highlights of our work include:
- Helping the design-build team by reviewing the proposed building enclosure design, helping select systems, recommending ways to improve below-grade waterproofing and building enclosure performance, and collaborating with them to develop details
- Preparing sketches depicting proposed details and solutions to integrate the various assemblies, achieve the aesthetic design intent, and accommodate movement at facade joints and transitions
- Providing building enclosure assembly U-factors for the building energy model
- Performing hygrothermal analyses to evaluate the potential for condensation and moisture accumulation in the exterior walls and evaluate alternative air/water barrier and insulation configurations
- Consulting on laboratory performance mockups of exterior wall and window assemblies and witnessing mockup testing, including air/water infiltration testing
- Performing third-party below-grade waterproofing inspections
- Providing construction-phase services, including reviewing contractor submittals and shop drawings, visiting the site to observe ongoing construction, and helping the project team address field conditions
Education | Residential
Building Science | Roofing & Waterproofing
Key team members
Glendale High School Administration Building
Constructed in 1969, this two-story building houses administrative offices and the school library. As part of a campus modernization project, SGH evaluated the existing concrete structure and developed a seismic retrofit program.
UCLA Child Care Center
Water was leaking into the child care center, located on the top floor of the Westwood Marketplace at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA).