Ravenswood Senior Living
The existing, ten-story building was constructed in the mid-1970s for the Ravenswood Hospital and vacated in 2002. Evergreen Real Estate Group undertook an adaptive reuse project to convert the former hospital into a senior living facility with 119 supportive living apartments and 74 independent living units. The project involved a complete renovation of the 225,000 sq ft facility and a five-story vertical addition. SGH was the structural engineer of record and building enclosure consultant for the project.
Our work included designing structural modifications to the existing reinforced concrete structure and the new vertical addition. Highlights of our work include the following:
- Evaluating the feasibility of adding five stories to a portion of the existing building and designing the addition
- Analyzing the existing structure’s ability to support a new roof deck and amenity terrace
- Designing structural modifications for new stair openings, elevator extensions, and mechanical shafts
- Investigating damaged brick masonry veneer, multi-wythe masonry parapets, precast concrete panels, and loose lintels
- Developing design documents for the facade rehabilitation
Repair & Rehabilitation
Building Enclosures | Structures
Worn Jerabek Wiltse | Evergreen Real Estate Group | Leopardo Companies
Repair & Strengthening | Condition Assessments
Key team members
Structural Engineering Division Head, Chicago
The Arcade Residences, 1135 W Sheridan Road
SGH was the structural engineer for the building, constructed with prefabricated, load-bearing steel stud wall panels supported on a steel-framed podium.
As part of the Preservation Easement Program, Landmarks Illinois oversees the preservation of properties with designated easement on their facades. Working for Landmarks Illinois, SGH evaluated the condition of landmarked facades and roofs in Hyde Park.