National Park Service, IDIQ Contract
Working with GWWO Inc., SGH provided structural and building enclosure engineering services for several sites as part of an Indefinite Delivery/Indefinite Quantity (IDIQ) contract with the National Park Service (NPS). Our work included condition assessments, structural design for rehabilitation projects and new structures, and preparation of applicable sections of Historic Structure Reports.
The following are some of the structures that SGH worked on.
Brawner Farm House, Manassas, VA. As part of the battlefield revitalization, NPS wanted to preserve and convert the wood-framed house into an interpretive facility along the tour route. SGH conducted a structural condition assessment, developed a rehabilitation program to address deteriorated wood framing and the stone masonry foundation, and designed new first floor framing to accommodate the change in use to a public facility.
Newcomer Barn, Sharpsburg, MD. Newcomer Barn, built prior to the Civil War, was used as a field hospital during the Battle of Antietam. NPS intended to restore the barn as the symbolic entrance into the battlefield. SGH performed a condition assessment of the existing two-story barn with an above-grade stone foundation and heavy timber superstructure.
Best Farm, Frederick, MD. The main farm house is a two-story Hermitage stucco-clad masonry building constructed in two stages dating from 1794 and 1820. SGH performed a condition assessment of the structure and developed a preliminary structural rehabilitation program to address deterioration of the brick masonry and wood damage due to rot and insect infestation.
Other projects include the following:
- Structural engineering for major rehabilitation; David Wills House, Gettysburg, PA
- Structural design of a new comfort station, replica lock tender shelter, and two footbridges along Towpath Trail; C&O Canal National Historic Park, Potomac, MD
- Structural investigation and repair design for deteriorated wood-framed decks; Great Falls Tavern Visitor Center, C&O Canal National Historic Park, Potomac, MD
- Design of structural modifications for HVAC renovations; Hampton Mansion, Hampton National Historic Site, Towson, MD
- Investigation of observed structural damage; Plum Orchard Mansion, Cumberland Island National Seashore, GA