New Britain, CT
The owner of this senior living center wanted to add a new three-story residential wing and administration building to an existing 73,000 sq ft campus. Working with the design architect, SGH provided structural and building enclosure design for the 50,000 sq ft addition, which harmonizes with the original structures while revitalizing the campus.
The new Jerome Home residence is composed of sixteen studio units for Alzheimer’s patients on the ground floor and forty-six assisted living units on the upper floors.
SGH designed the structural system for the addition that included:
- Elevated floors consisting of lightweight concrete slabs cast on open-web steel joists that span between lines of support located along the central corridors and the exterior walls
- Mansard roof framing consisting of prefabricated, cold-formed steel trusses supported on steel framing at the roof eave elevation
- A lateral-load-resisting system consisting of a horizontal truss at the roof eave elevation and vertically stacked concentrically braced steel frames
Our work also included:
- Development of a column grid layout that worked with the asymmetric vertical layout of space through the height of the building
- Coordination for the support of the prefabricated cold-formed steel roof trusses with the new roof mounted mechanical equipment
- Design and detailing at floor transitions between the new addition to the adjacent existing residential wing
Structures | Building Enclosures
Bechtel Frank Erickson Architects
Building Design | Roofing & Waterproofing
Key team members
Structural Engineering Division Head, Chicago
Watermark Kendall East at 250 Kendall Street
Watermark Kendall East brings an additional 144 apartments to a new residential complex, which also includes a 321-unit tower and parking structure constructed in an earlier phase. SGH consulted on the building enclosure.
Longfellow Place 1 and 4
Equity Residential Properties retained SGH to determine the approximate location and extent of existing damage and to identify alternatives for remedial work.