Grand Central Air Terminal
Designed by Henry L. Gogerty in the Spanish Colonial Revival style with Art Deco and Moderne features, the historic terminal opened in 1929. The airport closed to air traffic in 1959, the runway was removed, and the terminal building became part of the Grand Central Business Centre. As part of a larger adaptive reuse project, SGH assessed the condition of the building enclosure and consulted on the building enclosure rehabilitation.
Working with the architect, SGH helped develop a rehabilitation plan for the building enclosure and consulted on the building enclosure design. Highlights of our work include the following:
- Visited the site to document the condition of the building enclosure, including roofing and exterior brick masonry walls clad with cement plaster
- Provided recommendations to improve the building enclosure’s performance
- Developed procedures for monitoring cracking in the cement plaster walls during structural repairs
- Prepared construction documents for replacing the low-slope roofing and installing new clay tile roofing
- Reviewed the proposed design for waterproofing at existing loggia and balcony areas, and for flashing at new and rehabilitated windows
- Provided construction administration services, including reviewing contractor submittals, observing ongoing construction to compare with the project requirements, and helping the contractor resolve unforeseen field conditions
Repair & Rehabilitation | Preservation
Frederick Fisher and Partners
Condition Assessments | Preservation | Roofing & Waterproofing
SGH completed a seismic risk assessment of the existing structure and developed a retrofit program for The Epiphany.
The two buildings at 12670 and 12680 High Bluff Drive offer Class A office space to the Del Mar Heights area. SGH consulted on the building enclosure.