Los Angeles, CA
Adjacent to Hollywood’s historic Capitol Records, the new eighteen-story, mixed-use tower at 1755 Argyle Avenue houses 114 apartments, 2,100 sq ft of ground-level retail space, onsite parking, and a landscaped pool deck. With glazed, floor-to-ceiling window walls and undulating concrete balcony edges, the facade’s design harkens back to an era of old Hollywood and mid-century modern style. SGH consulted on the building enclosure design.
SGH assisted with the design of the building enclosure, including below-grade, podium, rooftop terrace, and balcony waterproofing; exterior wall cladding and water-resistive barriers; glazing assemblies; and low-slope roofing assemblies. Highlights of our work include:
- Created the basis of design and established performance criteria for the facade and waterproofing
- Reviewed the proposed design and recommended ways to improve performance
- Recommended detailing to integrate the various systems, including where the wall assemblies intersect the balcony, roofing, and waterproofing assemblies
- Developed isometric details for complex transitions between window wall, balcony edge, and architectural wall features that help depict the installation sequence
- Provided construction phase services, including reviewing submittals and shop drawings for the enclosure, participating in preconstruction and coordination meetings, observing in situ performance testing, visiting the site to observe construction, and helping address field conditions
Residential | Mixed-Use
The Related Companies
Roofing & Waterproofing
Key team members
SGH consulted on the building enclosure for 855 Brannan, featuring an undulated facade of various sheet metals, composite panel, and stucco finishes reminiscent of the area’s design history.
Wilshire Grand Center
At 1,100 ft in height, Wilshire Grand Center is one of the tallest buildings west of the Mississippi River. The tower houses below-grade parking, ground-level retail, eighteen floors of leasable office space, and 890 rooms for the InterContinental Hotel.