Photo Credit: Boston Public Library, est. 1850-1920
On 4 July 1795, Samuel Adams, Paul Revere, and William Scollay led the procession from the old Massachusetts State House to the site of the new State House to lay the granite cornerstone. In the excavated soil below the cornerstone, they placed a leather-wrapped package containing coins and an engraved silver plate. This time capsule was discovered during foundation repair work in 1855, at which time the items were repackaged and additional items were added to the collection. As part of an ongoing water-infiltration study, SGH led the consultant team that located and removed the time capsule after DCAMM raised concerns about the integrity of the artifacts.