Springfield Technical Community College, Building 19
Building 19 is part of Springfield Technical Community College, which is located on the Springfield Armory National Historic Site. Building 19 had remained unoccupied for years and, as a result, had deteriorated. SGH assessed the condition of the masonry and wood trusses, and developed masonry repair documents.
The two-story, brick masonry building has large arched window openings. The gable roof is clad with slate shingles, and the interior framing is typically wood roof trusses and floor beams. Portions of the upper walls were previously removed to address falling masonry concerns, as the masonry had suffered heavy mortar loss related to gutter leakage. We observed loose and deteriorated masonry at arches and piers and general mortar deterioration throughout.
SGH’s work included the following:
- Conducted an initial survey from grade and then a follow-up survey using an aerial lift to assess areas of heavy damage
- Conducted a petrographic analysis of extracted mortar samples to determine constituents and appropriate replacement mortars
- Prepared a written report documenting findings and prioritizing repair recommendations with annotated elevations
- Performed site assessment and grading of wood trusses and performed peer review of proposed remedial work
- Assisted the project architect in preparation of bid documents for the masonry stabilization portion of project
- Collaborated with the architect during construction to provide construction administration services