Southern Methodist University, George W. Bush Presidential Center
The George W. Bush Presidential Center houses the Presidential Library and Museum along with the George W. Bush Institute and Foundation. The Presidential Library and Museum serve to preserve the records documenting the life and career of our 43rd president. SGH consulted on the building enclosure design for the brick- and limestone-clad structure.
SGH assisted with the design and detailing of the building enclosure systems, including exterior wall cladding and waterproofing, roofing, below-grade waterproofing, curtain walls, windows, and doors. Highlights of our work include the following:
- Reviewed proposed systems to address typical building enclosure performance criteria, as well as site-specific issues such as high wind-driven rain loads, expansive soils, and rooftop solar components (photovoltaics, water heating)
- Evaluated hygrothermal performance criteria for this building and established requirements for heat flow, vapor diffusion, air leakage, and waterproofing
- Worked closely with the mechanical engineer and LEED consultant to maximize the thermal performance of the enclosure and the resulting LEED points associated with reduced building energy use
- Recommended alternative design approaches and met with the design and construction teams to review options for window and curtain wall integration, waterproofing, roofing, and related systems
- Provided construction administration services, including site observations to review mockups, compare as-built construction with the design intent, and observe performance testing of windows and curtain wall systems
Building Enclosures | Performance & Code Consulting | Structures
Culture & Entertainment
Robert A.M. Stern Architects LLP
Building Science | Facades & Glazing | Roofing & Waterproofing | Energy & Sustainability
Key team members
DesCours Festival, Hover
Howeler + Yoon Architecture’s installation for the 2007 festival was Hover, a canopy constructed of connected nylon cells illuminated by LED lights and powered by photovoltaic cells. SGH provided structural engineering services for the project.
Wreath of Honor Memorial
The memorial, designed by RE:site, creates a place for reflection in the Tennessee Riverpark on the circular plaza framed by the pillars and anchored by a central granite bench. SGH was the structural engineer of record for the project.