Dallas Cowboys Training Facility
On 2 May 2009, the Dallas Cowboys Training Facility collapsed during high winds. The fabric-covered structure fell on approximately seventy people, trapping some under the rubble. SGH, working in collaboration with Johns Hopkins University, investigated the causes of the collapse.
SGH performed a structural analysis of the 88,000 sq ft, steel-framed building, which spanned the practice football field. Highlights of our work include the following:
- Evaluated the original design from 2004 and subsequent retrofits that occurred over the next four years
- Developed a three-dimensional model to evaluate the as-designed and as-built structure
- Identified several shortcomings in the design, including buckling strength limitations of the truss chord members and misapplication of wind loads and internal pressures
- Concluded that the design and subsequent modifications were inadequate
- Evaluated alternative design options and concluded that a safer alternative with the same geometry as the original design was feasible