South County Justice Center
Tulare County needed a new courthouse to serve their growing demand for court services, consolidate court operations, and improve access and services for the southern half of the county. Located on the former site of Porterville Fairgrounds and the Municipal Ballpark, the new 97,000 sq ft courthouse provides nine courtrooms. The main entry to the courthouse is through the open air courtyard covered by a canopy. SGH consulted on the building enclosure design.
SGH provided design assist consulting services and reviewed the selection and detailing of the following building enclosure components:
- Cladding consisting of fiber-reinforced cement panels, zinc panels, and three-coat cement plaster
- Aluminum curtain wall system with aluminum sunshade covers
- Low-slope roofs with single-ply PVC roofing
- Second floor, accessible vegetated roof
- Membrane roofing for a large, stand-alone canopy
- Below-grade waterproofing
We used hygrothermal modeling to assist with selecting an appropriate air barrier membrane and offered product recommendations. We also performed construction administration services, including mockup review, observations of third-party performance water testing, comparison of installed components with those specified in the construction documents, submittal review, and responses to contractor requests for information.