Palo Alto, CA
Polytrauma and Blind Rehabilitation Center, Field Guide
Displayed outside the Veteran’s Administration Polytrauma & Blind Rehabilitation Center, Field Guide initially appears to be an abstract latticework. As they approach, visitors can see or feel that this form comprises twenty-two images of indigenous Northern California species complemented by dozens of three-dimensional golden birds. The same graphics are replicated inside on a copper-colored cylinder suspended in the atrium. SGH consulted on the structural and seismic performance of both sculptures.
SGH collaborated with Helmick Sculpture to design the intricate waterjet-cut steel sculptures. Highlights of our work included the following:
- Performed finite element analyses using Rhino and Millipede with in-house scripts to rapidly predict material stresses in the steel, based on iterative design changes
- Designed the structures to meet seismic demands, working within the sculpture’s artistic intent and dimensional requirements
- Used a rapid computational analysis process, allowing the artist to continue his design process without being delayed
- Designed the exposed architectural concrete foundation for the exterior display, including hidden base connections
- Used a dynamic design process to evaluate the suspended cylinder and help the artist minimize and optimize the hanger locations
- Developed details to connect the cylinder’s wire hangers to the atrium’s ceiling structure
Culture & Entertainment | Health Care & Life Sciences
AI & Automation
Key team members
As part of conservation effort, SGH and Historic Resources Group of Los Angeles prepared a detailed building enclosure condition assessment report in advance of applications for grant aid.
Contemporary Jewish Museum
The Contemporary Jewish Museum’s new home in San Francisco’s Yerba Buena cultural district involved adaptive reuse of the Jessie Street Power Substation. SGH assisted WRNS Studio with the waterproofing design, including developing the exterior skin, below-grade, and plaza deck waterproofing details.