Old Academy and Village Hall
Old Academy and Village Hall are located in the Framingham Centre Common Historic District, listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Old Academy is a stone masonry building originally constructed circa 1837 as a school house. Village Hall, built circa 1834, is a wood-framed building with white-painted clapboard originally used as the town hall. As part of our work on three historic buildings on the Centre Common, SGH assessed and rehabilitated the slate roof at Old Academy and the south facing asphalt shingle roof at Village Hall.
SGH investigated the condition of the slate shingle roof at Old Academy and found a lack of underlayment, apparent leakage, and rotted wood framing particularly at the eave. SGH developed a roof rehabilitation program and highlights of our work include the following:
- Tested existing slate shingles (ASTM C406) and determined that the test results for individual slate varied greatly, but were generally low
- Designed a replacement roof that included underlayment, copper flashing, and new slate shingles
- Tested samples of the proposed new slate shingles (ASTM C406) to verify the new slate met Type S1 requirements
- Designed localized structural repairs to address rotted wood framing
SGH designed a new roofing system to be installed at the south side of the Village Hall roof since the north side was recently replaced. Highlights of our roof design include the following:
- Self-adhered membrane underlayment at the eave, rakes, and ridge with vapor-permeable, mechanically-attached underlayment in the field
- Metal flashing at eave and rakes
- Gutters and downleaders were added at the eave
- New asphalt shingles and cap shingles at the ridge to match the north side
For both projects, SGH provided construction administration services and oversaw the installation of the new roof systems.