Northeastern University, Interdisciplinary Science and Engineering Complex
To elevate their scientific research efforts, Northeastern University undertook constructing a new 234,000 sq ft Interdisciplinary Science and Engineering Complex. Office, classroom, and laboratory space surround a six-story atrium to promote collaboration and engagement. SGH provided building enclosure commissioning services for this complex structure featuring a double-layered facade with integrated catwalks and sunshades outboard of the unitized curtain wall.
SGH joined the project team during the construction documents phase to help develop a building enclosure commissioning plan and continued working on the project to assist with construction-phase services. Highlights of our work include the following:
- Preparing a commissioning plan and specifications to support the owner’s requirements and design basis
- Reviewing the enclosure design at critical phases, participating in design-assist meetings, and providing recommendations to improve its performance
- Reviewing relevant shop drawings, including those outlining plans for the curtain wall performance mockup
- Traveling to the curtain wall fabricator’s facility in The Netherlands to observe the construction processes and mockup performance testing
- Providing construction phase services, including scheduling commissioning activities with the contractor; observing ongoing building enclosure construction to compare with the project requirements; helping the contractor resolve field conditions; and testing the as-built, unitized curtain wall assemblies to compare their performance with the design intent
Commissioning | Facades & Glazing
Key team members
Williams College Wachenheim Science Center
Responding to ongoing growth and advancements in the science fields, Williams College undertook a project to expand its science quad with two new additions. SGH served as the structural engineer of record for the project.
Massachusetts School Building Authority, Accelerated Repairs Program
SGH is a Building Enclosure Commissioning Agent for the Massachusetts School Building Authority.