New York, NY
The newly renovated NH Collection New York Madison Avenue hotel at 22 East 38th Street in Midtown Manhattan is housed in the former Fraternities Club Building constructed in 1923. SGH provided structural engineering services for the renovation and modernization project, which included creating two double-height lobbies, updating the facilities, and modernizing the guest rooms.
As the structural engineer of record, we investigated the condition of the existing transitional masonry superstructure with draped-mesh cinder-concrete floor slabs and designed structural strengthening and repairs. Highlights of our design include:
- Redirecting lateral loads around two new large floor openings
- Strengthening columns to create two new double-height lobbies
- Constructing new steel-framing to support an interior glass vestibule
- Repairing widespread deterioration and corrosion of the floor slabs and steel beams and columns in the cellar
- Temporarily shoring and bracing cellar columns where deteriorated slabs and beams were removed and replaced
- Strengthening draped-mesh cinder-concrete slabs at new and existing MEP openings
- Infilling existing double-height spaces to create additional usable floor space
Since the hotel remained open during our initial condition assessment, our investigative work could not disturb the guests or affect the architectural finishes. SGH worked closely with the contractor during construction to evaluate existing conditions as they were uncovered and develop solutions.