Local 130 UA Parking Garage
The Chicago Journeymen Plumbers Local Union 130 UA is one of the largest straight-line plumbing locals in the United Association. The Chicago office at 1340 West Washington Boulevard hosts major events in the 800- and 250-seat halls and undertook a project to replace the existing surface parking lot with a new 600-car garage. SGH served as the structural engineer of record for the project.
SGH designed the post-tensioned, cast-in-place concrete structure for the seven-story parking garage. Highlights of our design include:
- Layouts to accommodate ground-level and second-floor retail, and amenity space for the union
- Caisson foundations set back from the property line to align with perimeter columns
- Post-tensioned slabs designed to accommodate future mechanical penetrations and facilitate construction sequencing by providing temporary openings in the center of each slab for the tower crane
- Flat parking areas to allow for flexibility and the option for converting parking levels to office or residential space
- Steel-framed walkway hung from post-tensioned slab above
- A cast-in-place underground water storage tank design to fit within the building’s column grid
Infrastructure & Transportation
OKW Architects, Inc.
Key team members
Structural Engineering Division Head, Chicago
NuStar Blue Island Terminal
SGH performed an initial condition assessment of the existing steel and concrete wharf structures and designed repairs and upgrades.
Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center Physical Therapy and Sports Health Center and Parking Garage
Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center undertook a major expansion project that included the construction of several new buildings. SGH provided building enclosure commissioning services for the project.