Newport Beach, CA
Indian Valley Reservoir
The Indian Valley Reservoir provides long-term irrigation storage and flood control. A 2010 inspection report recommended seismic analyses of the floodgates and control structure to confirm the gates could be raised following a earthquake. SGH evaluated the seismic performance of the two structures.
SGH assessed the expected performance of the structures in a maximum design earthquake when the reservoir water level is at its maximum level under normal operating conditions. Highlights of our work include the following:
- Developed finite element models of the reinforced concrete control structure and steel radial arm tainter gates
- Evaluated the control structure for uncracked and cracked conditions
- Analyzed the gates for both downstream and cross-steam loading
- Compared the anticipated demands to the structures’ capacities
- Concluded a maximum design earthquake should not cause deformations or damage that would prevent the gates from opening
Repair & Rehabilitation
Structures | Advanced Analysis | Performance & Code Consulting
Infrastructure & Transportation
Sage Engineers, Inc.
Marine & Civil Works | Roofing & Waterproofing | Computational Mechanics
Key team members
Calleguas Municipal Water District, Conduit North Branch
SGH was retained to evaluate the safety of the as-constructed steel liner and recommend remedial work.
Alameda Marina Shoreline Redevelopment
As part of the waterfront mixed-use redevelopment, SGH assessed the seawalls' condition and developed repair, retrofit, and replacement options to help protect the marina.