Hartford Hospital, Hudson Street Employee Parking Garage
Hartford Hospital needed more employee parking and sought to build a new parking garage. The precast concrete Hudson Street Employee Parking Garage provides 1,250 parking spaces in nine stories. Seeking to achieve economy and an interesting texture for the building exterior, the design team chose precast concrete. SGH was the precast specialty engineer for the project, which won the 2013 PCI “Best Parking Structures (900+ Cars)” Award.
Precast concrete is the primary cladding system for the parking structure. Some of the highlights of the structure include the following:
- Facade texture provided by an offset layout to the white precast panels
- Ribbed, grey precast panels between sections of white precast panels to interrupt the broad elevations
- Small sections of colored brick inlay on precast panels to reflect the surrounding neighborhood
- Panels with a three-dimensional fold to channel rainwater to help mitigate staining
- Long span spandrel panels for the east and west elevations
Working for the precaster, SGH designed the precast concrete parking structure. For this project, we completed the following:
- Performed a lateral analysis of the structure and provided a summary of lateral forces and calculations to the engineer of record
- Designed shearwall and litewall panels
- Provided stamped structural design calculations and provided framing and detail drawings
Infrastructure & Transportation
Key team members
LaGuardia Airport, Airfield Configuration Program
LaGuardia Airport and Delta Airlines determined Terminals C and D had exceeded their useful life and were undersized for future needs. SGH consulted on the building enclosure for the new terminal, featuring glass curtain wall and metal wall panels.
Development of Locomotive Crashworthy Components
Train collisions involving locomotives can result in serious damage and occupant injury due to the larger size and stiffness of the locomotive. SGH assisted TIAX, LLC and the Volpe Center with designing a crash energy management system for a locomotive along with material and component testing.