Exeter Street Theater
Hartwell and Richardson designed the Exeter Street Theater in the 1880s as the first Spiritualist Temple in Boston. The building exterior consists of brownstone walls, a slate roof, and copper flashing. In 1995, a fire severely damaged the theater. Within twenty-four hours, SGH assessed the damage, developed a stabilization program, and began remedial design.
SGH acted promptly to assess the fire damage, stabilize the building, and design historically sensitive repairs. Highlights our of work on this project include the following:
- Developed a program to keep the building weathertight for repairs by completing the following:
- Directing removal of the fire-damaged cupola, roof, and attic
- Designing a new attic floor to serve as a temporary roof
- Designed concealed steel plates for the damaged truss to restore the strength and stiffness lost by the effects of the fire without changing the appearance of the truss
- Designed new bottom chords to strengthen all trusses
- Designed emergency repairs to damaged brownstone, sandstone, and granite walls
- Designed the replacement slate roofing and copper-clad cupola to match the original form, materials, workmanship, and appearance, thus ensuring historical accuracy
Repair & Rehabilitation | Preservation
Building Enclosures | Advanced Analysis | Structures
Culture & Entertainment
Exeter Street, Inc. | CBRE Group, Inc.
Repair & Strengthening | Condition Assessments | Preservation | Failure Analysis
Heart of Hearts Sculpture
To celebrate Valentine’s day, the Times Square Alliance invites architecture and design firms to submit entries for a public art installation. In 2016, the alliance selected Collective-LOK’s design, Heart of Hearts, as the winning installation. SGH designed the structure.
Boston Society of Architects, Coopered Column at Urban Timber: From Seed to City
The exhibition, Urban Timber: from Seed to City at the Boston Society of Architects (BSA) Space, was curated and designed by Yugon Kim and Tomomi Itakura. Kim and Itakura are principals at the Boston-based architecture firm IKD. SGH provided structural engineering services for the Coopered Column.