Staten Island, NY
Originally incorporated in 1916, Eger Health focuses on senior care and assisted living. The facility was expanded to include the existing 336-bed tower in the late 1960s with a new wing and glass-enclosed walkway added in 1991. Eger Health was planning a renovation project and wanted to replace the tower’s windows in its projecting vertical bays between areas of concrete wall panels. SGH consulted on the window replacement.
Collaborating with the architect, SGH helped select the replacement windows and develop details to integrate them with the surrounding building enclosure. Highlights of our work include:
- Investigating the existing conditions at a typical window, including the perimeter conditions
- Analyzing the existing exterior wall structure and designing attachments for the new windows
- Preparing a specification for the window replacement, including requirements for the window units and new perimeter waterproofing, air/vapor barriers, and flashing
- Developing details for the window replacement, including integrating the windows with the existing enclosure and attaching them to the structure
- Consulting on the project mockup and helping to establish expectations for the work
- Providing construction phase services, including reviewing contractor submittals, visiting the site to observe the work, witnessing air/water leakage testing of installed assemblies, and helping the contractor address field conditions
Building Enclosures | Structures
Health Care & Life Sciences | Residential
Condition Assessments | Roofing & Waterproofing
Key team members
St. Elizabeth’s Medical Center, William F. Connell Pavilion
SGH was the structural engineer of record for the project and consulted on aspects of the building enclosure.
Maine Medical Center, Malone Family Tower Excavation
As part of Maine Medical Center’s phased plan to expand and modernize the facility, they repurposed the site of a parking structure to construct a new six-story medical building. SGH provided geotechnical and structural engineering services to design a permanent support of excavation system (SOE).