100 Binney Street
The ten-story building at 100 Binney offers attractive, leasable space to the tech and biotech companies moving into the growing Kendall Square area. The mid-rise structure nestles into the existing Cambridge neighborhood, while the sweeping curtain wall brings a contemporary aesthetic representative of the sophisticated work going on inside. SGH consulted on the building enclosure design.
SGH assisted with the design of roofing and waterproofing and consulted on the exterior wall systems. Highlights of our work include the following:
- Reviewed the proposed design for the below-grade, plaza, and terrace waterproofing and roofing, and recommended ways to improve performance
- Helped develop details to integrate the roofing and waterproofing with other enclosure systems
- Consulted on the curtain wall and panelized wall systems
- Evaluated the proposed use of precast concrete wall panels with cast-in brick, recommended testing to assess the panels’ performance, conducted accelerated freeze-thaw testing in our laboratory, and reviewed the potential condition when bricks were replaced in the panels after casting
- Provided construction administration services related to the roofing and waterproofing, including reviewing contractor submittals to compare with the design intent, visiting the site to observe construction and compare with the project requirements, and overseeing performance testing for the roofing and waterproofing systems