Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, Abramson Research Building
The Abramson building expansion includes a nine-story vertical addition on top of a low-rise portion of an existing building. The building addition raises the roof height of the entire facility to thirteen stories and adds a new mechanical floor level. SGH’s role began as the project’s curtain wall consultant and incrementally expanded.
SGH’s work on this project ultimately included the following tasks:
- Review of the curtain wall manufacturer’s design for the curtain wall structure
- Development of curtain wall design parameters and specifications
- Development of a laboratory testing protocol for the mockup curtain wall installation
- Design of coordination details between building enclosure components, including roofing, waterproofing, doors, and metal wall panel systems
- Construction administration services to monitor fabrication and assembly of the modular curtain wall system at the manufacturer’s shop and in the field