58 and 80 Metropolitan Avenue
The five-story building at 80 Metropolitan Avenue (80 Met) and the seven-story building at 58 Metropolitan Avenue (58 Met) offer 164 loft-style condominiums and nine three-story townhouses in the heart of the Williamsburg neighborhood. The property offers a swimming pool, gym, decks and courtyards, and below-grade parking. SGH was the structural engineer of record for the two residential buildings and townhouses.
SGH designed the reinforced masonry and precast concrete structures and prepared construction documents for the structural work. Highlights of our design include the following:
- Reinforced concrete masonry walls and precast concrete plank to help reduce sound transmission between floors
- Steel-framed podium level to span over below-grade parking
- Support for the exterior facades, including curtain walls adjacent to the interior courtyard at 58 Met
- Communal space and privacy walls for cabana spaces on the 80 Met rooftop
We also performed construction phase services, including the following:
- Reviewed structural shop drawings and submittals to compare with the design intent
- Responded to contractor requests for information
- Observed ongoing construction to compare with project requirements
- Designed field repairs to address construction deficiencies
- Designed interior modifications for several unit
221 KA Associates, Inc. | Steiner Williamsburg, LLC.
Key team members
Harvard Towers Parking Garage
Constructed around 1962, Harvard Towers includes a two-level, below-grade parking garage below the ground-level plaza. SGH investigated the cause of deterioration and designed a rehabilitation program for the garage.
Twenty|20 at 20 Child Street
Leading the development at East Cambridge’s NorthPoint site, Twenty|20 brings 355 apartment units to the growing neighborhood. SGH consulted on the building enclosure design.