30 East Balbo Drive
Targeting college students and young professionals in Chicago’s South Loop, 30 East offers 255 bedroom rentals in 134 shared, furnished apartments. A two-story podium with ground-level retail and second-floor indoor/outdoor amenity space supports the fourteen-story tower. The sleek glass enclosure reflects 30 East’s modern take on rental living. SGH consulted on the design of the building’s glazing and wall systems.
SGH assisted with the design for the window walls and fiber-cement rainscreen cladding. Highlights of our work include the following:
- Reviewed the proposed design for the window wall and recommended ways to improve the selected system’s performance
- Developed details to integrate the window walls with other enclosure systems
- Helped evaluate value engineering proposals and alternates submitted by the construction team
- Reviewed shop drawings to compare with the design intent
- Visited the site to observe ongoing construction and helped the contractor resolve field conditions
- Observed water and air infiltration testing of the window to compare with the specified performance requirements
Commercial | Residential | Mixed-Use
Solomon Cordwell Buenz & Associates
Facades & Glazing
Key team members
Topping out at twenty-six stories, Eleven40 on South Wabash Avenue brings 320 rental apartments to Chicago’s South Loop neighborhood. SGH consulted on the building enclosure design for the project.
U.S. Cellular Headquarters
U.S. Cellular wanted to consolidate all Chicago-area operations, including their headquarters, into a single building where they already occupied eleven floors. SGH was the structural engineer for the renovation project, which added 120,000 sq ft to their existing space.