The Old City Jail, constructed in several stages between 1796 and 1859, was used as a jail until 1939. The jail stood unoccupied for decades until it was acquired by the School of the Building Arts, a not-for-profit organization dedicated to the teaching of historic building trades such as blacksmithing and traditional masonry techniques. The jail received a grant under the U.S. Department of the Interior Save America’s Treasures Program. SGH conducted a condition assessment of the structure and developed a rehabilitation plan for the building.