SGH designed the structure for the 239 ft dia., 32 ft tall concrete tanks in conformance with ACI 350 – Code Requirements for Environmental Engineering Concrete Structures. Highlights of our work include the following:
- Finite element analysis to verify the design of the tank structure, which comprises a cast-in-place concrete, two-way, flat slab floor structure, cast-in-place concrete walls, and a precast concrete roof structure with cast-in-place concrete topping
- Fluid-structure and soil-structure interaction analysis for specified seismic accelerations
- Computer simulation of the early-age thermal and shrinkage behavior of the concrete and development of a construction sequence along with concrete curing and protection measures to minimize cracking
- Design of the buried roof waterproofing system and drainage
- Construction administration services including observation of the work for conformance with the design
The project also included a new above-ground building, dams, and associated structures on the Blue Hills Reservation. Landscape features, designed by others on our team, include upland meadows, upland forest and meadow edge (reforestation), a shoreline peninsula, walking trails, fencing and gates, site lighting, and landscape planting.