The historic G. Fox building, constructed circa 1917 and designed by Cass Gilbert, was the first of six buildings rehabilitated and redeveloped under the State of Connecticut’s "Six Pillars of Progress" plan for the revitalization of downtown Hartford. As part of this effort, SGH assessed the condition of the building enclosure for the 11-story, 850,000 sq ft building, which included the original building and two additions dating back to 1938 and 1960.