Albany City Hall was designed by H.H. Richardson and constructed between 1881 and 1883. The building has exterior mass masonry walls of Milford granite and East Longmeadow brownstone trim and ornamentation. Architecturally, City Hall is anchored by the 200+ foot tower at the southwest corner of the building. The tower includes an open belfry level, a large pyramidal stone roof, and a stair turret. The city was concerned about leakage through the tower and turret roofs and the related brownstone and structural deterioration.