Woodland Wonders Nature Preschool
Created to promote education focusing on nature, the new Woodland Wonder Nature Preschool is located in the The Kreher Preserve and Nature Center—a 120 acre property donated to Auburn University’s College of Forestry, Wildlife and Environment. The building is inspired by nature with a butterfly‑shaped roof, an exposed timber structure, and other sustainable design features. SGH was the structural engineer of record for the project.
SGH designed the structure for the new building comprising:
- Cantilevering roofs constructed with point-supported, cross laminated timber (CLT) to create the butterfly shape
- An exposed wood structure comprising glued-laminated timber (glulams) and CLT
- A large exterior deck constructed with dimensional lumber and wood decking
- Wood-framed and CLT shear walls for the lateral-load-resisting system
- Structural columns integrated with the glass facade at classroom spaces