Long Island City, NY
The Point LIC, Paragon
The Point LIC, a new commercial development, reinvents two, seven-story industrial buildings as the Paragon and Blanchard. The renovated buildings offer open office floor plans, ground-level retail, and other amenities. SGH provided building enclosure and structural services for the project.
The triangular Paragon features a brick masonry facade with terra cotta accents. SGH prepared drawings and specifications for the building enclosure rehabilitation. Highlights of our work include the following:
- Investigating the existing enclosure systems, including reviewing exploratory openings and performing water testing
- Evaluating the existing wall systems and potential energy-saving improvements, such as adding insulation and providing sun shades
- Developing repairs, including pointing, repairing damaged brick and terra cotta, and replicating the existing water table with GFRP
- Designing a roofing replacement and repairs for the existing copper cornice
- Designing replacement windows, storefront, and canopy systems
- Detailing transitions between the various enclosure systems
- Reviewing bids for the building enclosure scope
We provided construction phase services, including visiting the site to observe ongoing construction, reviewing contractor submittals, and helping address field conditions.
Repair & Rehabilitation | Preservation
Building Enclosures | Performance & Code Consulting | Applied Science & Research
Commercial | Mixed-Use
The Related Companies
Condition Assessments | Preservation | Roofing & Waterproofing | Energy & Sustainability | Environmental Simulations
Key team members
Paramus Park Mall
Corrugated metal storm drain pipes running beneath the Paramus Mall parking lot were severely corroded and deflected. SGH investigated the pipes’ condition and developed rehabilitation options that would help minimize disruption to the mall.
In 2009, the Ames Building was transformed from Class B office space into a four-star, 114-room boutique hotel. SGH provided structural engineering, building enclosure engineering, and masonry repair services for the rehabilitation.