West Hollywood, CA
Santa Monica College, Academy of Entertainment and Technology Campus
To expand and modernize their Academy of Entertainment and Technology Campus, Santa Monica College undertook a project to construct two new buildings and renovate an existing one. The project brings innovative classrooms, production facilities, and gathering spaces to the campus, and also offers a new home for the KCRW radio station. SGH consulted on the structural and building enclosure design for the project.
SGH consulted on the enclosure for the two new structures: a two-story classroom building with a performance hall and the three-story KCRW building. Both are clad with a combination of brick, fiber-cement panels, cement plaster stucco, and glass curtain wall. We also consulted on building enclosure alterations for the remodeled classroom and faculty office building, including new storefront glazing and roofing. Highlights of our work include the following:
- Reviewed the proposed building enclosure design for the new buildings and existing building and recommended ways to improve performance
- Developed details to integrate the various enclosure systems and the addition with the existing building
- Reviewed project specifications for roofing, waterproofing, sheet metal flashing, joint sealants, and water-resistive barriers
- Designed structural attachments to anchor cladding to the base structure
- Provided construction administration services, including reviewing contractor submittals to compare with the design intent, observing ongoing construction, and helping the contractor solve field conditions
SGH also designed structural support and seismic bracing for interior features and components (e.g., hung wood acoustic panels and large audio equipment) and architectural site features, such as signs, fences, and gates.