Logan International Airport, I-90/Route 1A Interchange
The modernization of Logan International Airport included the new I-90/Route 1A Interchange. SGH assisted several contractors that looked for assistance with understanding the complex system of reinforcement, post-tensioning ducts and anchorages, and conduits, as well as with concrete quality at a drilled shaft.
The elevated roadways are constructed of cast-in-place, post-tensioned concrete box girders and supported on individual concrete columns, concrete bents, and concrete abutments. The columns are supported on large diameter drilled shafts. SGH provided construction engineering services, including the following:
- Preparation of reinforcing bar shop drawings for box girders and straddle bents for direct use in fabrication, reducing delivery time by several weeks
- Preparation of integrated drawings of box girders and straddle bents showing post-tensioning ducts, anchorages and reinforcement, block outs, reinforcing steel, anchor bolts, earthquake restrainers, drainage systems, and utility conduits to help resolve conflicts between embedded items in advance of construction
- Evaluation of concrete quality in a major drilled shaft using extracted deep core samples
- Evaluation of out-of-tolerance drilled shaft reinforcement to show that the drilled shaft was able to carry design loads safely
- Evaluation and repair design for missing post-tensioning bars in one of the straddle bents
Infrastructure & Transportation
Barletta Heavy Division
Key team members
Museum of Science Parking Garage
Working for the owner, SGH assessed the condition of the concrete garage and recommended a rehabilitation program to extend the useful life of the structure.
Logan International Airport, West Parking, Controlled Demolition of Post-tensioned Concrete Garage and Slab
A portion of the West Parking Garage fifth floor was cast on a snowy day. When the forms were stripped, contractor observed cracks and ice-filled voids in the slab. The owner and contractor needed to know if the 20,000 sq ft deck could be repaired or should be replaced.