Lerner Black Hill
Sited on the edge of Black Hill Regional Park in the heart of Montgomery County, Lerner Black Hill offers neighborhood conveniences with accessibility to nearby Washington, DC. The apartment complex, with multiple low-rise buildings around shared green spaces, was constructed as the first phase in a 110-acre, mixed-use project being developed by Lerner Enterprises. SGH consulted on the building enclosure design for the Lerner Black Hill apartment homes.
SGH consulted on design of below-grade waterproofing, exterior walls with multiple cladding systems, punched windows, storefront at the grade level, window wall, and roofing for seven of the residential buildings and the adjoining fitness building. Highlights of our work include the following:
- Reviewing the proposed design prepared by the architect of record, Hord Coplan Macht, and helping the design team develop details to integrate the various enclosure systems
- Participating in preconstruction mockups of below-grade waterproofing, exterior wall and fenestration assemblies, and roofing
- Reviewing select building enclosure submittals in concert with the architect and providing recommendations for improving performance and constructability
- Witnessing watertesting of the storefront to assess performance
- Visiting the site to observe ongoing construction and help the project team address field conditions