Lawrence E. Boone Elementary School
With student enrollment exceeding the capacity of the existing 1974 school building, DC Public Schools undertook a project to replace the school with one that could accommodate future growth and modern education practices in an inspiring, sustainable facility. Working with the design-build team, including Skanska USA Building and Cox Graae + Spack Architects, SGH peer reviewed the building enclosure during the project’s design phase and provided hands-on construction phase support to help the team navigate field challenges.
SGH consulted on below-grade waterproofing, brick veneer and metal panel wall assemblies, thermal insulation, window and curtain wall systems, and roofing. Highlights of our work include the following:
- Reviewing the proposed design and recommending strategies and details to achieve reliable enclosure performance
- Participating in review of a detailed mockup of the exterior wall assembly and applying aspects of mockup construction to key project decisions during the construction phase
- Guiding the design and installation of a complex building expansion joint with important effects on enclosure performance
- Providing construction administration services, including reviewing submittals, visiting the site to observe ongoing construction, and helping the contractor address field conditions
- Advising the project team in their preparation of a quality checklist related to the building enclosure’s air/water barrier and its interface with window and curtain wall systems
Skanska USA Building Inc.
Roofing & Waterproofing
Key team members
University of the District of Columbia
The University of the District of Columbia wanted to renovate the Theater of the Arts building and address ongoing leakage at the same time. SGH investigated leakage and designed repairs.
Philipsburg Elementary School
Shortly after construction, school personnel observed liquid-filled blisters in the epoxy terrazzo flooring on the first floor. SGH investigated the cause of the flooring damage in 2010.