Lawrence E. Boone Elementary School
With student enrollment exceeding the capacity of the existing 1974 school building, DC Public Schools undertook a project to replace the school with one that could accommodate future growth and modern education practices in an inspiring, sustainable facility. Working with the design-build team, including Skanska USA Building and Cox Graae + Spack Architects, SGH peer reviewed the building enclosure during the project’s design phase and provided hands-on construction phase support to help the team navigate field challenges.
SGH consulted on below-grade waterproofing, brick veneer and metal panel wall assemblies, thermal insulation, window and curtain wall systems, and roofing. Highlights of our work include the following:
- Reviewing the proposed design and recommending strategies and details to achieve reliable enclosure performance
- Participating in review of a detailed mockup of the exterior wall assembly and applying aspects of mockup construction to key project decisions during the construction phase
- Guiding the design and installation of a complex building expansion joint with important effects on enclosure performance
- Providing construction administration services, including reviewing submittals, visiting the site to observe ongoing construction, and helping the contractor address field conditions
- Advising the project team in their preparation of a quality checklist related to the building enclosure’s air/water barrier and its interface with window and curtain wall systems