Johnson College Prep
Established in 2010, Johnson College Prep is a four-year public charter school in the Noble Schools system. The prep school occupies a 1962 building that served as a school since construction. Noble Schools wanted to update the building and undertook a project to renovate the facade and entrance. SGH provided structural engineering services for the project.
SGH reviewed the proposed design for the exterior upgrades and evaluated the existing concrete-framed structure to determine if strengthening or modifications would be required. Highlights of our work include:
- Reviewing existing documents and verifying the information with visual surveys and measurements
- Evaluating proposed alterations to the existing lateral-load-resisting system, including modifying the wind area and seismic mass of the building
- Detailing structural modifications, including creating new openings in the existing masonry walls and strengthening those walls with new structural steel framing
- Designing the structure for a three-story new entrance canopy framed with architecturally exposed and aluminum composite material-clad hollow structural sections
- Developing details to connect the canopy to the base building structure
OKW Architects, Inc.
Building Design | Repair & Strengthening
Key team members
Structural Engineering Division Head, Chicago
University of Illinois, Campus Instructional Facility
The Grainger College of Engineering wanted a new academic building to promote collaboration, offer innovative technologies, and create active learning classrooms.
University of Michigan, Cooley Memorial Fountain
University personnel observed water leaking into the vault below the fountain. SGH performed a condition assessment and designed a comprehensive project to restore and upgrade the fountain.