Johnson College Prep
Established in 2010, Johnson College Prep is a four-year public charter school in the Noble Schools system. The prep school occupies a 1962 building that served as a school since construction. Noble Schools wanted to update the building and undertook a project to renovate the facade and entrance. SGH provided structural engineering services for the project.
SGH reviewed the proposed design for the exterior upgrades and evaluated the existing concrete-framed structure to determine if strengthening or modifications would be required. Highlights of our work include:
- Reviewing existing documents and verifying the information with visual surveys and measurements
- Evaluating proposed alterations to the existing lateral-load-resisting system, including modifying the wind area and seismic mass of the building
- Detailing structural modifications, including creating new openings in the existing masonry walls and strengthening those walls with new structural steel framing
- Designing the structure for a three-story new entrance canopy framed with architecturally exposed and aluminum composite material-clad hollow structural sections
- Developing details to connect the canopy to the base building structure