De Anza College, Media and Learning Center
The two-story Media and Learning Center at De Anza College provides 65,000 sq ft of media and learning center space. The project, a successful implementation of ecological sustainable design, incorporates a buoyancy-driven natural air ventilation system, more than 6,000 sq ft of photovoltaics, and rooftop vacuum-tube style solar thermal collectors. SGH was the building enclosure consultant for the terra-cotta rain screen wall cladding, metal wall panels, and an aluminum-and-glass curtain wall system.
As the building enclosure consultants, SGH reviewed design concepts for the exterior wall cladding, windows, doors, and roofs. Highlights of our work include the following items:
- Analyzed effects of thermal loading and condensation potential of metal panel wall assembly at ventilation shafts and provided recommendations for the interior and exterior air and vapor barriers
- Determined the best location for the air and vapor barriers and insulation within the metal panel and terra cotta rainscreen cladding assemblies
- Evaluated quality control, ease of detailing and installation at penetrations and terminations, compatibility with adjacent materials, and UV stability of a fluid-applied membrane and sheet membrane for installation behind the cladding
- Consulted on single-ply roofing membrane that meet Energy Star, LEED, and Cool Roof Rating Council requirements for reflectivity and emissivity
- Consulted on the photovoltaic (PV) collector field mounting system on the standing-seam metal roof and recommended a system to accommodate rain water that could penetrate through panel joints and penetrations
- Analyzed the thermal bridging effects of the PV mounting system in the context of the whole-building energy performance and provided recommendations for the placement of insulation within the assembly to reduce conductive heat flow
Building Enclosures | Performance & Code Consulting
Building Science | Facades & Glazing | Roofing & Waterproofing | Energy & Sustainability
Key team members
UC San Diego, North Torrey Pines Living and Learning Neighborhood
With North Torry Pines, UC San Diego creates an entire community around a new quadrangle. SGH consulted on the building enclosure design for the project.
Richard N. Slawson Southeast Occupational Center
The Slawson Southeast Occupational Center, formerly Bell Adult Education Center, is a new job preparation facility for the Los Angeles Unified School District. SGH performed a condition assessment of the existing warehouse and was the structural engineer of record for the new center.