Through a combination of public and private investments, the 300-acre Brooklyn Navy Yard will be reinvented as a modern industrial park. Crye Precision is leading this effort as an anchor tenant for the Green Manufacturing Center in Building 128, a former ship machine shop. The large building allows them to consolidate their body armor manufacturing plants into one central headquarters. SGH assisted Crye Precision by designing structural modifications to support the build-out of their new 80,000 sq ft facility.
SGH visited the site to document areas of the as-built, steel-framed structure affected by the proposed modifications. Highlights of our design include the following:
- Collaborating with the architect, MN Design Professional Corporation
- Analyzing existing steel-framed mezzanines for planned occupancy loads
- Supporting a new enclosure system on the existing mezzanine framing to separate office space on the mezzanine from the production areas below
- Installing new helical pile foundations, steel columns, and steel framing for new two-story, internal “island” structures at two locations
- Creating five bridge structures to connect the mezzanine to the upper-level of the island spaces
- Constructing stairs from the ground floor to the mezzanine and from the ground floor to the upper level of the island spaces
- Adding new concrete slabs and retaining walls for landscaping at the ground-floor atrium space
Commercial | Industrial
Crye Precision LLC
Key team members
225 Wyman Street
SGH provided structural design services for the five-story building, parking garage, and alterations to the central plant, and consulted on the building enclosure design for the project.
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts, South Shore Headquarters
The new South Shore Headquarters for Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts (BCBSMA) balances function, sustainability, and architectural aesthetics with budget. SGH consulted on the building enclosure design and provided building science services for the new four-story, 333,000 sq ft building.