City Market at O, 880 P Street
Constructed in 1881, the O Street Market was one of several public markets in Washington, DC. The project — which encompasses an entire city block — restores the historic market and incorporates it into a new grocery store, as well as adds 87,000 sq ft of retail, more than 600 residential units, a hotel, and parking in one million square feet of urban development. SGH consulted on the building enclosure for 880 P Street NW, which is the L-shaped residential building at the northwest corner of the block.
SGH consulted on the building enclosure design for the building, which includes apartments and walk-out townhouse rentals. Highlights of our work include the following:
- Reviewed the design and recommended ways to improve the performance of the building enclosure, featuring brick cladding, window walls, curtain walls, balconies, green roofs, and an amenity roof
- Assisted with the waterproofing design for the rooftop deck to accommodate the complex amenity program, including a cascading waterfall feature and outdoor fireplaces
- Performed focused monitoring during construction of certain building enclosure components, including through-wall flashing and curtain wall air seals
- Participated in performance testing program for the window wall system
- Provided construction administration services, including reviewing submittals, visiting the site to observe ongoing construction, and helping the contractor address field conditions
Following our work at City Market at O, the architect retained SGH to work with them on the subsequent phases of the project.