Children's National Medical Center
Children’s National Health System (Children’s National) is the District’s leading provider for pediatric treatment and research. The main hospital in Washington, DC, serves as the system’s headquarters and offers a comprehensive range of services. SGH provided structural and building enclosure engineering services for many projects at the main hospital, including a building addition, interior renovations, a parking garage rehabilitation, and a plaza remediation.
The multi-story, below-grade, concrete parking structure at the main hospital includes about 400,000 sq ft of elevated parking decks and 230,000 sq ft of parking on grade. SGH assessed the garage’s condition and helped Children’s National plan for remedial work. Highlights of our work include:
- Surveying and sounding to document deterioration, distress, and leakage
- Bond testing the existing waterproofing membrane
- Non-destructive testing to collect information about the condition and placement of embedded steel reinforcement
- Conducting microscopic and petrographic examination of extracted concrete core samples in our laboratory
- Designing and administering the construction contract for replacing garage expansion joints performing structural and waterproofing roles
- Designing a multi-phase repair and protection program for the parking structure
Children’s National wanted to renovate space below an existing loading dock. While removing interior finishes, the contractor uncovered leaks and related deterioration. SGH conducted a field investigation and laboratory testing to assess the condition of the plaza’s concrete and steel structure. We designed structural and waterproofing repairs and provided construction administration services for the remediation project.
SGH also designed structural modifications for a variety of projects at the main hospital and collaborated with architectural teams to support interior renovations and system upgrades associated with Children’s National modernization initiatives.