Belmont Day School Barn
The Belmont Day School wanted to expand their campus by constructing a new building to support their athletics and STEAM programs. The Barn includes the fieldhouse with two basketball/volleyball gymnasiums and the headhouse containing locker rooms, fieldhouse support space, and five new workshop-style classrooms. SGH was the structural engineer of record for the project.
SGH designed the steel-framed headhouse and the concrete foundation for the abutting pre-engineered fieldhouse. Highlights of our design include:
- A moment-frame lateral system to create large open spans and maximize flexibility in the tight building footprint
- Hollow structural section (HSS) columns for moment frames at both the flat and gable shaped roof areas
- Two dormers in the steel-framed gable roof: one for a 24ft wide glazed opening and another to accommodate the large duct inlets from the adjacent flat roof
- A 9ft cantilevered entrance canopy with plate fins to minimize thermal bridging at the connection to the base building structure
- A cantilevered portion of the headhouse adjacent to the fieldhouse to facilitate flow between the two spaces
Key team members
Brandeis University, Carl J. Shapiro Science Center
The Carl J. Shapiro Science Center project consisted of 155,000 sq ft of new construction, 40,000 sq ft of renovated space, and infrastructure upgrades. SGH provided structural design and building enclosure design consulting for the new construction and renovation project.
Sacred Heart University, Linda E. McMahon Commons
The new Linda E. McMahon commons building at Sacred Heart University offers a central meeting facility for students and faculty. SGH performed structural engineering services for the design and construction and also provided building enclosure and waterproofing design consultation to the architect.