The original eight-story, steel-frame, masonry-infill building was constructed in 1907 and founded on timber piles. In 1929, the building was extended to thirteen stories. The fourteenth story and a new fifteen-story tower were added alongside the original building in 1989. SGH assessed the condition of the structure and building enclosure for the original building and its additions, which were structurally integrated.
Highlights on SGH’s work on this project include the following:
Estimated seismic loss by calculating probable maximum loss
Performed a push-over analysis using FEMA 273 methodology
Investigated the condition of waterproofing, roofing, and roof gardens
Evaluated brick and terra-cotta facades of the historic building and granite and glass curtain wall of the 1989 tower
Observed excavated areas within the basement to assess condition of timber piles