Hooper Island Lighthouse
Hooper Island Lighthouse

First lit in 1902 and automated in 1961, the Hooper Island Lighthouse is located off the Chesapeake Bay’s eastern shore and listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The cast-iron structure supports a four-level masonry and iron-framed living space, capped by a watch deck and lantern room. SGH provided structural engineering services as part of a feasibility study to evaluate the structure’s ability to be adapted into a columbarium.

Scope | Solutions

SGH performed a condition assessment and analyzed the structure’s adequacy for supporting new shelving units. Highlights of our work include the following:

  • Visually surveying the exposed building assemblies to observe their general configurations and conditions

  • Proposing shelving materials to maximize storage capacity and minimize the need to strengthen the existing structure

  • Recommending repairs and strengthening to support the proposed use

Project Contact(s)