February 17, 2021
Publication: Task Committee on Wind-Induced Forces
Prepared by the ASCE Task Committee on Wind-Induced Forces of the Oil and Gas Committee of the Energy Division of ASCE.
Wind Load Design for Petrochemical and Other Industrial Facilities, Second Edition, provides general guidelines for the computation of wind loads at petrochemical and other industrial facilities.
- Fundamental wind engineering, general aerodynamics, design consideration and methods specifically related to the types of structures found in petrochemical and other industrial facilities, that is, nonbuilding structures;
- Analytical determination of wind loads;
- Wind tunnel testing and computational fluid dynamic approaches to determining wind loads;
- Alternate methods for determining aerodynamic force coefficient and load combinations;
- Uncertainty associated with wind loads;
- Wind loads for open frame structures;
- Special wind loading requirements for liquefied natural gas (LNG) facilities; and
- Examples how to apply the recommended guidelines for determining wind loads on the various types of industrial structures.
The report is intended for use with the general provisions of ASCE 7-16. It represents the state-of-the-practice for wind load design at industrial facilities and is intended for engineers familiar with design of industrial-type structures.
Markets: Oil & Gas