The following are some of the structures that SGH worked on.
Brawner Farm House, Manassas, VA. As part of the battlefield revitalization, NPS wanted to preserve and convert the wood-framed house into an interpretive facility along the tour route. SGH conducted a structural condition assessment, developed a rehabilitation program to address deteriorated wood framing and the stone masonry foundation, and designed new first floor framing to accommodate the change in use to a public facility.
Newcomer Barn, Sharpsburg, MD. Newcomer Barn, built prior to the Civil War, was used as a field hospital during the Battle of Antietam. NPS intended to restore the barn as the symbolic entrance into the battlefield. SGH performed a condition assessment of the existing two-story barn with an above-grade stone foundation and heavy timber superstructure.
Best Farm, Frederick, MD. The main farm house is a two-story Hermitage stucco-clad masonry building constructed in two stages dating from 1794 and 1820. SGH performed a condition assessment of the structure and developed a preliminary structural rehabilitation program to address deterioration of the brick masonry and wood damage due to rot and insect infestation.
Other projects include the following:
- Structural engineering for major rehabilitation; David Wills House, Gettysburg, PA
- Structural design of a new comfort station, replica lock tender shelter, and two footbridges along Towpath Trail; C&O Canal National Historic Park, Potomac, MD
- Structural investigation and repair design for deteriorated wood-framed decks; Great Falls Tavern Visitor Center, C&O Canal National Historic Park, Potomac, MD
- Design of structural modifications for HVAC renovations; Hampton Mansion, Hampton National Historic Site, Towson, MD
- Investigation of observed structural damage; Plum Orchard Mansion, Cumberland Island National Seashore, GA