Photo by Peter Brown, Woodruff Brown
The Caring Health Center comprises three interconnected buildings that formerly housed a furniture showroom, but were abandoned for multiple years. The three buildings, including the Smith Carriage Company building (1890), the Morse Block (1904), and the Coombs Block (1914), are constructed of unreinforced brick masonry with stone and pressed metal highlights. The Smith Carriage Company building is on the National Register as part of a historic district and the other two are on the State Register of Historic Places and eligible for the National Register. Prior to the start of the Caring Health Center renovation project, the buildings suffered from water infiltration and deterioration of the masonry facades. SGH assessed the facade, peer reviewed the design, and provided other support services through both design and construction.