Astronomers and scientists demand better telescopes to collect wave energy and produce better images. Similarly, defense requires higher performance reflector and phased array radar antennas. However, these structures have stringent requirements on natural frequency; tight tolerances on deformations under dynamic, gravity, and environmental loads; and are subject to fatigue from cyclic loads. SGH addresses these challenges by developing new high-performance designs that meet more stringent owner requirements.
SGH has built a solid foundation for advanced engineering services based on experience with large-scale computer analyses and design dating back to 1962. We work with scientific and defense industries developing state-of-the-art concepts in structural design and metrology to achieve stringent design requirements. SGH brings this capability to clients through development of structural concepts, analysis and design, performance evaluation, repair, and construction support.
Both within the United States and abroad, clients look to us for assistance with all types of antennas and telescopes, including radio and optical telescopes; radar and communication antennas; and phased array radars. Our strengths include:
- Knowledge to define the appropriate set of operating and survival design loads, including wind, thermal, and seismic, for a given site
- Experience with a broad range of construction materials from high-performance composites to conventional concrete, steel, and aluminum
- Analysis expertise (static, dynamic, thermal, and nonlinear analysis) for stresses and deflections using NASTRAN, ABAQUS, ANSYS, and proprietary codes for analysis of antenna gain and pointing
- Evaluation of radio frequency performance from deformations from load
- Metrology and error analysis