The longevity of a parking garage is directly related to its design characteristics and maintenance schedule. By incorporating proper design detailing, specifying high-performance materials, and through advising our clients on the importance of proper maintenance, our goals are to extend the useful life of our garages and minimize long-term maintenance costs.
SGH provides design, investigation, and rehabilitation and develops details and specifications for new and remedial design. We apply an in-depth understanding of the severe exposure and specific deterioration mechanisms that parking garages experience to the design of new parking structures and the restoration of existing parking structures.
Our experience includes the following:
- Design of cast-in-place and post-tensioning systems for garages, peer review of designs by others, and investigation and rehabilitation of deteriorated garages
- Design, investigation, and repair of waterproofing systems
- In situ and laboratory testing of concrete, including ground-penetrating radar cover surveys, corrosion potential, petrographic analysis, and chemical analysis
- Preparation of plans, specifications, and contract documents and bid review for traditional design-bid-build, design-build, and CMAR contract delivery systems
- Construction administration and monitoring of construction work in progress
When SGH serves as prime consultant, we manage the design and construction documentation processes. The process involves:
- Coordination with consultants to assure involvement at all stages
- Development of design options across all disciplines
- Coordination and review of drawings and specifications prepared by the design team prior to each design milestone
- Documentation of scope and coordination reviews and milestone submittals
- Performance of design QA/QC, including quality checks and evidence that each design firm has followed procedures
- Performance of bid phase services and construction administration services